Poisonous Plants

The following information was taken from "Bird Owner's Home Health and Care" by Gary A. Gallerstein, D.V.M.

House Plants  |  Common Ornamental Plants  |  Flower Garden Plants  |  Plants in Woods
Vegetable Garden Plants  |  Trees and Shrubs  |  Plants in the Field  |  Christmas Plants

First Aid for Poisoning

 

Poisonous House Plants
Plant Toxic Part
Rosary Pea
(Jequirity Bean, Crab's Eye, Precatory Bean)
Seeds
Dieffenbachia
(Dumb Cane)
Leaves
Caladium Leaves
Elephant's Ear Leaves, stems
Philodendron Leaves, stems
Daffodil Bulbs
 
Common Ornamental Poisonous Plants
Plant Toxic Part
Castor Bean Beans, leaves
Daphne Berries
Rhododendron Leaves
Azalea Leaves
English Ivy Berries, leaves
Oleander Leaves, branches, nectar of blossoms
Yellow Oleander
(Yellow Be-Still Tree)
Leaves, branches, nectar of blossoms
 
Flower Garden Plants
Plant Toxic Part
Lily-of-the-Valley Leaves, flowers
Delphinium All parts
Iris Bulb
Monkshood Leaves, roots
Purple Foxglove Leaves
 
Plants in Wooded Areas
Plant Toxic Part
Jack-in-the-Pulpit All parts
Marijuana Leaves
Skunk cabbage All parts
Tobacco Leaves
 
Vegetable Garden Plants
Plant Toxic Part
Rhubarb Leaf blade
 
Trees and Shrubs
Plant Toxic Part
Black Locust Bark, sprouts, foliage
Yew Needles, seeds
 
Plants in the Field
Plant Toxic Part
Jimsonweed Leaves, seeds
Nightshades Unripe berries, leaves
 
Christmas Plants
Plant Toxic Part
Holly Berries
Jerusalem Cherry Berries
Mistletoe Berries
Poinsettia Leaves, flowers
 

Note: Wild mushrooms can also be poisonous. It requires an expert to differentiate between poisonous and non-poisonous wild mushrooms. They grow in gardens, lawns, and wooded areas. Any wild mushrooms should be considered poisonous until proven otherwise.

    First Aid for Poisoning:
  1. Remove the poison to prevent further ingestion.
  2. Keep the bird quiet and warm.
  3. Get immediate veterinary care. Bring a sample of the suspected poison, any vomit, along with the most recent droppings.
If no veterinary care is immediately available, the bird is conscious, and you are sure that the poison was ingested and not just played with, the following medication can be given to coat the digestive tract and help prevent absorbtion of the poison. The dosage for a cockatiel would be 1-2 cc (1/5 - 2/5 tsp.)

Note: These can be given slowly with a plastic eye dropper or may have to be force fed with a tube. If any problems are encountered with the administration, STOP immediately.